Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cloth Diapers 1, Mom 0. Time for a re-match...

The Cloth Diaper Adventures continue...

Alright, so the cloth diaper adventures have hit a slight snag. After giving the Thirsties Duo Wrap a solid try for the last several days (on each of our three little ones) it’s clear that they are neither a good fit for our various-sized children, nor a good match for the birdseye pre-folds we purchased. I’m sure that somewhere, these are simply perfect for someone else. However, we’ve had major problems from the onset. First, imagine trying to place the wrap under a wriggly toddler while then fitting the pre-fold on top of that in just the right manner. Then, add to that the disposable liner that is supposed to catch all the solids. Just getting all three things to align is a feat in itself, but next comes the oh so tricky part of bringing it up to attach it at the top. It must have taken three or four attempts at each diaper change just to get each step to work.
The fit itself is horrible for all three kids, as well. These ones claim to fit kids “tall or short, thin or chunky.” Well, mine are all tall, and they are stocky, really tiny, and a bit chunky- in that order. I figured these would be just perfect to fit my multi-sized family. Each child falls within the weight range for the “size 2,” so I purchased several wraps in different colors to pair with the pre-folds. However, even my tiny little girl has a difficult time with how snug these really fit. Don’t get me started on the other two…
I believe part of the problem to be the short span of the front. Every disposable I’ve even tried (as well as the one brand of all-in-one cloth diapers I’ve tried) all have tabs on either side that are meant to reach toward the back and help wrap the front more snugly. It hardly covers the belly, let alone the sides. The Thirsties Duo Wrap seems to be rather short in that respect and I find myself almost willing the sides to stretch and grow so I can feel like they are offering better coverage. Even with the rear aplix tabs attached at the front as intended, it seems there is a rather large gap along the sides that leaves a lot open for accidents.
So, after only a few days of use, the Thirsties will be retired and I will try something new. I have 3 Bum Genius 3.0’s to try out, and I’m hoping they offer better coverage and fewer headaches. At least I know the inserts will stay in place, and there will be no pre-fold to slide around. If the liners are able to do their job this time (instead of clumping up with the pre-fold within moments of wear, and thus negating any hopes of an easy clean-up)I might be willing to stick it out. Right now, I find my resolve weakening just a little, so I’m really counting on the BG’s to pull through. The adventure continues…

No comments:

Post a Comment